Saturday, November 17, 2007

Birth Story-Part 2

Back to the story...



Derek and I spent all of Labor Day (the holiday) deep cleaning our house. I have never cleaned that well in my life-i bet derek wishes i did that everyday! Anyways, we get up and get to the hospital at about 5:15am. I wanted to get there early in case that had anything to do with us getting a good room (FYI-it doesn't-rooms are pre-assigned). We get checked in and settled in our room. Not too long after that a nurse comes in to start my IV and things started going downhill from there. The nurses couldn't get the IV started, so they called in a senior nurse and she finally got it going, but by that time my arm was killing. The doctor comes in and tells me i am almost 4cm-that explains why i thought i was going to have the baby at Chili's the night before! The next couple of hours are kinda a blur. I know i tried to rest but couldn't and they started my pitocin at some point and broke my water. Not long after they broke my water i told them i was ready for an epidural, so begins my hell. All my friends had told me a million times that getting the epidural is not bad at all, so i reallly wasn't that nervous about it. Looking back i guess i should have been.



To make a long, dramatic story a bit shorter I will just say that the doctor wasn't on his A game that day and no matter how many times he poked in my spine he just couldn't get the thing to work. I had a total of 3 epidurals that day. The first 2 only made my right thigh numb, and by the time he got the 3rd one to work i was already 9 1/2cm. I never had time to enjoy the epidural bc it was time to push! I really don't know how women have/had babies without drugs. Trust me when i say it is a pain like no other.



I pushed for about 2 hours and my doctor came in and pretty much told me that baby was just not coming out and i need to think about the section. She had kinda prepped me for this bc they thought the baby was going to be so big. By that point I was so exhausted. I had gone through a whole day of unmedicated labor (it was almost 6pm) and a csection sounded fine to me.



Once i told them to go ahead with the section things moved pretty quick. I had told the doctor i wanted derek to tell me what the baby was (we didn't find out) and once Beckett came out derek immediately started taking pictures and forgot to tell me the sex! Finally a nurse said "aren't you going to tell her what it is??" He finally said "It's a Boy" and the doctor held this perfect yet huge baby spread eagle over the curtain for me to see....and so begins the rest of this story......
oh, and by the way...if you ever find yourself at baptist hospital ask for a red popscicle-they have the best ones ever:)

No comments: