Saturday, January 17, 2009

Beware of Dog!

Not her best angle, but she is afraid of the camera!
Watching the tennis ball and waiting for derek to say "go get it"

As i mentioned in the previous post we had a little "incident" with koda while we were in Oxford. And yes i realize i have a picture posted, but don't worry it is an old one, because i still can't figure out how to work my new camera. Back to the story.....
We left for oxford on friday leaving Koda in the yard-just so no one thinks we neglect her i must add that derek's brother was going to be feeding her. On Saturday afternoon we find out from Clint that when he came to feed her she was gone. We didn't get too upset bc she is smart and we knew she would come back. Well Saturday night at 3:30am i get a call from a random number and decide not to answer. That morning at 9am i get another call from the family we purchased our house from almost 4 years ago. She informed me that she got a call at 3:30am from the Madison police wanted to know if she was the one who lived in our house. She told him no, but gave them my number. Ok, now i start to panic and call my mom to check on Beckett-he is fine. I then call the random number back that i had ignored earlier that night. And it is none other than the madison police. All the dispatcher can tell me is that 2 dogs came out of our yard and attacked a runner that night!!!! HOLY CRAP!!! All i can't think is "we are going to get suied"
I call our friend back who we bought the house from-they just moved around the corner and asked if he would go check on koda, we went by and said that our dog was in the yard, but she was being very protective and wouldn't let him put her back up-she wouldn't let him step foot in the yard. Now i am convinced something is wrong with her bc normally she is very gentle. I tell derek it must be rabies-he tells me i am crazy:) The officer told me i would have to wait and call back at 11pm to get a full incident report from the dispatcher who was working the shift the night the accident occured. So, i call that night and find out that a man (for some strange reason) was out for his morning jog at 3am and two labs came out of my yard barking/growling at him. He manages to escape and runs around the corner and calls 911. The dogs didn't "bite" him. I am pretty sure Koda would never bite anyone, but i was relived to find out we would not be getting a lawsuit handed over. A police officer was dispatched to our house, but the two dogs wouldn't let him get out of the car. They were barking at him and he was afraid of dogs so he had the dispatcher trying to track us down via phone to get the dogs inside. I still don't know where the other lab came from and i am thinking Koda was just following the other dogs lead. I did tell the cops i was sorry about the incident and it would never happen again, but at the same time i am glad to know that when necessary Koda will be protective-i mean whose to say the runner couldn't have been a robber? So after listening to a lecture on dog safety at 11:30pm i was free to go..and no formal report will be filed on our address unless it happens again.
So....that is the long version of my story....is it obvious that derek is hunting tonight and i have nothing better to do???
I must add that Koda is in NO WAY a harm to anyone who comes to this house. Please don't think i have an out of control dog. She is a lab for crying out loud and lets babies walk all over her. She even babysits beckett for me when i am in the shower:) She does however have a protective streak when she feels threatened.....so if you were thinking of robbing me tonight, i would think again:)



2 comments:

em g ferguson said...

stop it!!
only someone in our neighborhood would run at 3am!
have you ever seen the family that runs with long sticks?
i need to give you my cellphone number...hopefully that won't happen again though!

Amy S. Norris said...

alright - so i don't know you but katie butler's sister kristen told me i HAD to read your blog because your posts were hilarious. she was right! you have me cracking up. but, i wanted to comment on this one in particular because i have 2 labs as well that i am convinced if someone were to try and break in that they would lick him to death and wait for them to throw the tennis ball or frisbee.....but it is soo nice to know that they do have the protective-thing in them! mine have surprised me before when we were on a walk with my little girl and they started growling and barking at a man jogging across the street - so much that I was scared of them! way to go koda, police record for partying too late when your parents were out of town. ha!